Thursday, November 18, 2010

Starbucks Peppermint Brownies

It's sad. I have passed my addiction of Starbucks onto my girls (although their addiction is more to the food than the drinks:). Two summers ago it dawned on me while shopping at Williams Sonoma that I could save a ton of money if I started making Madelines myself instead of purchasing 3 of them every morning on my drive through Starbucks. And so birthed the summer of Madelines. I made vanilla, I made chocolate, I made marbled and they ate them up for WAY less money!

SO, last year when my girls fell in love with Starbucks peppermint brownies I decided I had to find a way to replicate the recipe. Tonight was my first attempt and I must say I think I nailed it - or at least I came darn close. Try them and see...warning these are VERY rich!!

My Version of Starbucks Peppermint Brownies

Make an 8x8 pan of brownies and let them cool. The recipe doesn't matter as long as you do NOT overbake them - they should be fudgy when cooled. If you want to use a box brownie mix I suggest Ghiradelli. If you want a scratch recipe I suggest Martha Stewart. Ina Garten has a great recipe but it makes a HUGE pan.Next cream 1 - 8oz package of cream cheese (softened), 3/4 cup powdered sugar, and 1 tsp peppermint extract.
Dump the cream cheese mixture over the brownies and smooth over as an even layer. Place the brownies in the fridge.

Next you need to make ganache. Now don't panic - it's just a fancy word for the most amazing, yet versatile chocolate concoction you have ever made. You simple take 1 cup of heavy whipping cream and heat it GENTLY over medium to low heat on the stovetop. You are waiting for tiny bubbles to form on the edge of the cream in the pan. Watch it carefully you do not want the cream to burn or boil. As soon as you see these tiny bubbles creeping up and the cream is hot you take the pan OFF the heat (and don't forget to turn your burner off as well:). Then you dump 2 cups of semi sweet chocolate chips into the cream and let it sit for 2 minutes.

And then you stir.

And stir.

And stir.

And when the ganache is smooth and glossy you take the brownies out of the fridge and you dump the ganache over the peppermint/cream cheese layer and smooth. You need to chill the brownies for at least 15 minutes so that the ganache can "set". Then you cut into those suckers and enjoy! Remember they are VERY rich so cut a small piece! If you want them to look EXACTLY like Starbucks I suggest you mix a little powdered sugar with milk until smooth and then drizzle all over the ganache top layer. But, I say why waste the calories;)

1 comment: