Sunday, August 21, 2011

Curriculum Night 2011



















Ready, set, go!! For many of us school is in full swing and Curriculum Nights are ramping up. This is the BEST opportunity to meet other parents in your class and tap into their resources!! Each year I contact my teacher the week of Curriculum Night and see if there is anything I can help her/him with. The start of the year is hard on them and preparing for Curriculum Night is stressful. Plus most of them have no time between school and the start of the meeting to get dinner, get their own families taken care of and get ready for the meeting! I usually offer to bring a dessert, plates, napkins, etc. for the meeting - nothing fancy just a little something. Brownies, cookies, cupcakes - whatever is easiest for you, I find food sets people a little more at ease and gets them "mingling". Not to mention parents are probably racing home themselves, getting their families taken care of, getting to Curriculum Night and have not had a chance to eat.



















I have a sign up sheet laid out by the food with any help I may need through out the year. This is usually the only time I see all the parents at one time. As room parent I can get inundated with parents giving me 100 ideas, suggestions, apologies as to why they couldn't be room parent, and apologies for why they can't be in class to help. But in any case NOW is the time to let them see how they can assist the class. I have a copy of the sign up sheet I use below that is customized to our class needs. This list was created by a fellow room parent Mandy and I thank her for sending it to me 3 years ago:) As you can see, I not only ask for volunteers for class activities but I go ahead and ask for items I need sent in. This does two things, #1 it helps take this burden off me financially and #2 it helps working parents or those that can not be in the classroom an opportunity to do something!! I then keep this list and remind parents as these activities draw nearer or as the items are needed what they volunteered to assist with. Every once and while I will get a parent that doesn't follow through - but I would say 90% of the time if I reminded them then they do what they signed up for.

I also give a small speech during Curriculum Night, 5-10minutes TOPS. I introduce myself, direct them to the signup sheet, let the parents know that I welcome their help and feedback and that I will do my best to help keep them informed of what I need and what I do. This is the time to remind working parents that sending items in is just as helpful as coming into the classroom to help with activities. This is also a great time to go over any food allergies that may exist in your class if your teacher has not done so already. If you have any food allergies, specifically peanut or egg you need to ensure that all the parents are informed and reminded at EVERY class activity to send in items that are peanut or egg free. You may want the parent of the child with the allergy to make a brief statement. Remember if you are requesting food items you MUST remind parents to check the labels of any store bought food and any ingredients that they may be using in homemade treats.
For brownie points - if I have time I also offer to bring the teacher dinner since they usually don't have time to eat! Again, nothing fancy (I usually just list the restaurants that I drive past on the way to school), however you have NO idea how helpful this can be.



Curriculum Night Parent sign up sheet
Please take a moment to look over the following activities and sign up to volunteer! If we all work together this will be an awesome year!!!

BINGO NIGHT- Our class is responsible for donating two 12 packs of for BINGO Night.
Deadline for 1st BINGO Night:
1.
2.
Deadline for 2nd BINGO Night:
1.
2.

Advanced Reader Test Volunteer:
We need 1 volunteer to help administer these computer based tests.
1.


FALL FESTIVAL:We need a parent to donate a baked good for the cake walk at Fall Festival!
1.

WINTER PARTY:
Please volunteer to help at or bring food to our celebration!
1.
2.
3.
4.

Holiday Lunch & Holiday Shop:
We need 1 volunteer to help deliver lunches this week and one volunteer to help in Holiday Shop.
1.
2.

MATH CarnivalWe need volunteers to send in TWO 12 packs of _________________ by _____________________.
1.
2.


PTA SPRING EVENT!
We need to donate TWO 12 packs of __________________ by ___________.
1.
2.

Testing SNACKS –
If you would like to volunteer to send in healthy snacks during the standardized testing please sign up below:
1.
2.
3.

TEACHER APPRECIATION-
The PTA sponsors a lunch for the TEACHERS. If you would like to assist with the project planned please let me know.
1.
2.

FIELD DAY:
We need parents to bring in the following items:
Tarp and/or blankets (for the kids)
1.
2.

A rolling cooler with lots of ice
1.

Bottled Water
1.

A pop-up tent
1.

STUDENT RECOGNITION & ICE CREAM SOCIAL:We need volunteers to send in TWO 12 packs of _________________ by ____________.
1.
2.

END OF YEAR PARTY:Please sign up if you are able to help and/or donate items for the end of the school year party!!!
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.

I will be in touch with each of you throughout the year to ask for additional help with class events as it is needed! Parents who sign up for specific events will be reminded in advance of the details!

No comments:

Post a Comment