Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Candied Bacon the Ultimate Holiday Appetizer

I published this post in 2008 on my personal blog...but lately I have had several people ask for it so I am converting it to my RMR blog.  What is genius about this recipe is you can serve it for breakfast, brunch or cocktails.  Everyone loves it!  Enjoy:)

I've had more people than I can count ask for this recipe. If you have been to my house for any family or social occasion this "appetizer" was probably served. I made 7 pounds (oh yeah, that's right SEVEN pounds) for Thanksgiving last year and it was gone within 15 minutes - GONE!! Tad and I first ate it at a millionaire's home cocktail party last fall (these people had a butler, a lady of the house who runs everything and a chef). It was so popular at the party I came straight home and googled it. The following recipe is adapted from Emeril's. In the spirit of the pioneer woman, I tried to photograph making it (but I don't have the kick but camera or mad skills she has so you will have to bear with me). So, if you'd like to eat like the rich and famous, if you want your friends and family to flock to your house and tell you your the best woman in the WORLD you should try it out...


Candied Bacon
2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 pound thick sliced bacon
NOTE - Yes, I know that putting organic sugar on bacon probably negates the fact that you are eating organic - but a girl has to try. And in my house Tad would count this as eating organic - not that he cares.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place a metal rack on top of a DISPOSABLE cookie sheet. Trust me you DO NOT want to use your own pan - you want to just throw the pan away once you are done. (The metal racks come clean in the dishwasher.) Combine the brown sugar and chili powder in a shallow dish, stirring to mix well.

Press 1 side of each slice of bacon firmly into the spiced sugar to coat well, moving all the way down the slice to make sure the slice is coated well.


Arrange the slices of bacon on top of the broiler rack in a single layer, sugared-side up. See the gunk on the bottom? That is the result of the bacon fat and the sugar burning on the bottom while the bacon is cooking, YUCK. Again, I can't stress enough D-I-S-P-O-S-A-B-L-E cookie sheets - they are at every grocery store and the dollar store and they are so worth it.

After prepping/coating every few slices of bacon you need to "rake" the sugar with a fork to make it easier for the sugar to stick to the bacon.
Bake for 15 - 25 minutes (until browned and crisp). Drain briefly on a paper towel and then move to a serving dish. CAUTION: I know this may look so tempting when it comes out of the oven but you MUST wait at least 2 minutes before eating. Otherwise, the the sugar tends to adhere the bacon to your teeth like super glue and the grease in the bacon will scald your mouth and lips while you try to pry the piece off your teeth. I'm just saying - take it from someone with experience.
Note: You can make this a few hours ahead of time and keep warm in a 150 degree oven until ready to serve (the bacon will continue to get darker when you do this so you may want to decrease the cooking time if you plan to keep warm). Below is what the end result looks like - see the gorgeous glaze? See how this isn't a whole piece? Either Tad or my sister snapped a piece off while my back was turned - I am telling you this recipe turns humans into animals.


No comments:

Post a Comment