Thursday, April 15, 2010

Granola Recipe

I decided this week to send in breakfast food for the kids to eat before they started the CRCT test. Sometimes children may have not had a chance to eat or are hungry once they get to school and this ensures they start the test on a full stomach. Today I sent in homemade granola. This is a very simple recipe, that's cheap to make, kids love it and it is sweetened with only coconut and honey. People are always very impressed that you can make your own granola (until they see how very simple it is;). Below is the recipe. It's possibilities are endless because you add whatever you want to it! I will say that my family, and myself included, are not big fans of coconut. When I say "not big fans" I mean my husband won't touch the stuff. However when you toast it as in this recipe, it changes the taste and texture. My husbands eats this granola by the fist full - reminding me how much he hates coconut;)

Homemade Granola
4 cups old fashioned oats
2 cups sweetened coconut
1 cup slivered almonds (optional - I did not use these for the batch I made today due to nut allergies)
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey

Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk oil & honey together. Pour oil/honey over the dry ingredients and toss with you hands until evenly distributed. Pour out on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 40 minutes stirring the granola every 10 minutes to make sure the top pieces don't burn and it gets evenly toasted. Let granola cool and then you have to break it apart. You can then add 1 bag of chocolate chips, or dried fruit or peanuts or whatever else you would like! It makes a ton so there's always some to share!! Ina Garten also has a great granola bar recipe if you are interested. Enjoy:)

No comments:

Post a Comment